Bruxism - Teeth Clenching/Grinding

I work with the team at About Faces Physiotherapy (see map below), they use a combination of acupuncture, dry needling and physiotherapy to release the tight muscles that is caused by bruxism. I assist the clients with lowering their tension levels and identify the client's external / internal stressors. Many clients that I work with have a build-up of tension which is causing them to suffer with bruxism. Hypnotherapy and relaxation techniques help to reduce their tension levels and I use hypnotherapy to replace the habit with appropriate behaviour by reprogramming the subconscious mind.

Bruxism is a condition in which you may grind or clench your teeth, or maybe you do both. If you have bruxism, you may unconsciously clench or grind your teeth together during the day or night, which is called sleep bruxism. There are many causes of why we may suffer from bruxism, it may be a misalignment of the teeth, problems with the jaw or it can be something as simple as tension.

Bruxism may be mild and may not even require treatment. However, it can be frequent and severe enough to lead to jaw disorders, headaches, damaged teeth and other problems. You may have sleep bruxism and be unaware of it until complications develop, it's important to know the signs and symptoms of bruxism and to seek regular dental care.

Signs and symptoms of bruxism may include:

  • Teeth grinding or clenching, which may be loud enough to awaken your sleep partner

  • Teeth that are worn down, flattened, fractured or chipped

  • Worn tooth enamel, exposing deeper layers of your tooth

  • Increased tooth sensitivity

  • Jaw pain or tightness in your jaw muscles

  • Earache – referred pain to the ear because of severe jaw muscle contractions.

  • Headaches

  • Chronic facial pain, that may refer to neck and shoulders and top of head.

  • It's usually best to see your dentist, as your dentist will be able to see if you have any damage to your teeth and you may need to wear a splint at night to protect your teeth from further damage. You may then be referred to an oral surgeon.